The following information is for the TCU in London semester-long program. For TCU's summer programs in London, click here.
Passports and Visas
- All students must have a passport that will be valid for at least 6 months after the end of the program. Applications are available at the post office or at http://travel.state.gov/. Make copies or scans of your passport.
- The UK requires prior entry clearance (PBS Tier 4 Visa) if you plan to be an intern of plan to stay in country 6 months or more. You will need to apply for a visa at least 6 weeks prior to departure. Additionally, biometrics are now required. See www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk.
- Visas are approximately $500.00 and may be charged to Visa or MasterCard.
- You must submit your passport in order to obtain a visa. The visa is stamped in your passport and can take 3 - 6 weeks. Do not plan to travel outside the US during this period.
- Review Academic Regulations, Code of Conduct, and Cultural Learning Information
- Submit your flight itinerary to the Center for Intl. Studies.
- If you live in TCU campus housing, inform Residential Services that you will be studying abroad.
- If you will need academic accommodations while abroad, contact the Coordinator of Services for Students with Disabilities at TCU. Additionally, Westminster has a coordinator onsite. All documentation must be completed prior to departure.
- Forward your TCU mail home.
- Forward your TCU email to any other account you may use while abroad.
- Notify bank of countries you will visit and dates.
- Make copies of bank cards and credit cards to keep in a secure location. Make an emergency plan for lost or stolen cards. Consider giving parents power of attorney to act on your behalf.
- Consider purchasing the International Student Identity Card, available for purchase at the TCU ID Center, or the Trip Plus card.
- TCU recommends purchasing travel insurance and personal property insurance.
Health and Safety
- Review health, safety, and emergency information provided in your program handbooks, as well as from the State Dept: www.state.gov and CDC: www.cdc.gov.
- See a doctor and dentist for general check-ups and to discuss travel-related health issues. Request prescriptions for your time away.
- Call SOS (215-942-8478215-942-8478) at any time prior to departure or while abroad for health and safety questions.
- TCU enrolls study abroad and travel abroad participants in Consolidated Health Plan medical insurance, providing coverage during the dates of the program abroad. Please be aware that students will need to obtain their own coverage before and after program dates. Review summary of benefits for full benefits and exclusions.
Arrival and On-Site Information
- Upon arrival, you will spend 2 nights with a TCU representative in a hotel. Meals and excursions during this period are included in your program.
- On Saturday afternoon, you will check into Westminster housing.
- On Monday, Westminster will conduct an orientation onsite. Orientation activities will continue throughout the first week.
- Because you are not enrolled in TCU classes, the TCU system will show 12 hours of coursework as a placeholder.
- Your classes will not transfer back to TCU until 8 – 10 weeks after the semester ends. At that time, the correct credit hours will be posted to your TCU record.
Resources and Materials
Upon acceptance into the program, you will be sent a copy of the TCU in London Pre-Departure Handbook. Before departure, you will also recieve additional instructions from the University of Westminster. You can also learn more about London through the following sources: